EXIT 195 on I-44 at Saint James, MO 65559
Go 5.5 miles EAST on Highway 8 to park entrance on left
Call for more information and reservations.
Cash, Check or
How about some summer fun with the kids...Kick-the-Can Ice Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 2 tablespoons chocolate- or strawberry-flavored syrup (optional)
- 1 pound coffee can with a lid, cleaned
- 3 pound coffee can with a lid, cleaned
- 1 1/2 cups rock salt (kosher salt or sea salt can also be used)
- In a large bowl, combine milk, half-and-half, sugar and optional flavorings.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into the smaller coffee can.
- Cover the small can with its lid and seal with duct tape
- Place the 1-pound coffee can inside the 3-pound coffee can.
- Surround the smaller can with ice and salt by layering 5 cups of ice with 3/4 cup of salt.
- Put the lid on the larger coffee can and seal with duct tape.
- Now, put the can on its side and kick it back and forth, or roll it, for about 10 minutes.
- Open the larger coffee can, remove the small coffee can, take off lid and give ingredients a quick stir.
- The cream on the side of the small coffee can will set faster than the mixture in the middle.
- Reseal the small coffee can. Dump the water/salt mixture from the large coffee can.
- Place the small coffee can inside the large coffee can and layer again with the remaining ice and salt.
- Put the lid back on the large coffee can, seal with duct tape.
- Kick or roll it for another 10 minutes.
Makes 8 scoops (about 3 to 4 servings).
Sure to be a fun time and you'll be surprised how good the ice cream is.
Camp as our guests, come back as our friends.